Thursday, March 11, 2010

A very interesting poker hand


I decided to play in a tournament at the Portland Poker Club which is a shady place above Biddy McGraw's here in Portland. A $10 "cover" charge for a $20 buy-in is a bit steep, but I was up, it was noon, and I had plans with Rocky to go. Both him and Jonathan got eliminated early, and at least they got a beer out of it at Biddy's, but I did my usual early accumulation of chips only to piss them away FAST as the blinds and levels got higher. I made the final table as the low stack, which became the VERY low stack. I already had one foot out the door, when the blinds were at 500/1000 and I had 4000 in chips. I was under the gun, and I decided that I had three chances to make my move (now, or when the big or small blind hit), and I looked down at KQ of spades. I threw my last 4 chips in, and I got a comment from the guy to my right saying "I was wondering when that was going to happen". I pick my moments where I make my last stand, rather than haphazardly gamble. Anyways, to my surprise, not only did I get 4 callers, but the 5th person went all in (person that made comment earlier). To my GREAT surprise, everyone that was in the hand called, including the CHIP LEADER who re-raised all in and have everyone covered. A quick trivia question, is, What is the best thing that could possibly happen? Well, everyone is now all in and turns over their cards. Pocket 8's...AJ suited, J10 suited, and the worst case scenario for me, Pocket Kings, from the person who made the comment and initially raised all in. The question is, with so many people all in, and 4 places making the money, fold those mediocre to good hands, and let everyone else eliminate each other. I had no choice, and was the first person in. But these guys in the sunglasses and hoodies, that do nothing but talk, are really not all that smart. Well the miracle flop happened...9-10-J. YAHTZEE! I also hit two of my spades, but the guy with pocket Kings was in the lead for the side pot. The chipleader paired his J, but hit a miracle A on the river, giving him two pair (and also giving me a nut flush, which I did not need), and eliminating four players, all of whom had ALOT more chips than me. I multiplied my chips by 5, to 20000, and after we paid the bubble (the odd man out) who was shortly eliminated, the chip leader, who had to leave, offered to chop the remaining money (over $600). We all happily agreed. So I go from one foot out the door, to essentially winning the tournament, in one miraculous hand, and some poor decisions by some of the other players. Honestly, the only hand I call with their is the pocket Kings. Shh, don't use that against me! Oh, and I know the picture is of Hearts, but I could not find a Spades photo. Ship it baby....

No comments:

Post a Comment